FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE
INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE
• 270g dark chocolate
225g unsalted butter
• 1 1/4 tsp amaretto (optional)
• 300g caster sugar
• 3 whole eggs + 8 eggs separated
• 270g almond meal
• 75g cocoa powder (sifted)
• 1/3 tsp salt
INGREDIENTS FOR BUTTERCREAM
• 230g unsalted softened butter
• 550g soft icing sugar (sifted)
• 60ml heavy cream
• 2 tsp vanilla
• Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius and line 3 x 8inch tins with baking paper
2. In a large heat proof bowl, add in chocolate and butter. Melt over double boiler. Let cool.
3. In another large bowl, add in 3 whole eggs. Seperate additional 8 eggs and add the yolks to bowl with whole eggs. Add egg whites to a seperate large bowl connected to a stand mixer.
4. Add sugar to whole eggs/egg yolks, whisk thoroughly until pale, creamy and thick. Fold in almond meal, sifted cocoa powder & salt. Pour in melted chocolate/butter to egg yolk mix and fold again. Set aside.
5. Whisk egg whites until doubled in size and add in vanilla & amaretto. Fold egg whites into egg yolk/chocolate mix. Stop folding once all the white disappear into the mix. You want your mixture to keep it’s fluffiness.
6. Pour into prepared lined tins and bake for 35-40 mins until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into cake.
7. Let cool completely.
1. In a large bowl connected to a stand mixer with paddle attachment, add in butter & beat until creamy (approx 2-3mins).
2. Add in 1/2 of your icing sugar along with heavy cream, vanilla & salt. Beat on low for additional 30 seconds until everything is combined.
3. Add in remaining icing sugar and beat on low then high for 2-3 minutes until creamy & smooth.
4. Ice cake once cooled and go crazy with decorations! xx